Jack Straw MP sitting during interview with ITN reporter
Jack Straw MP (Foreign Secretary 2001-2006) interview SOT
- Don't accept that (that Iraq is a mess), certainly accept that the post military invasion period went very badly wrong and there has been a level of bloodshed, certainly in the first few years after the invasion which was just terrible
- if you now look at the situation what you find it a majority of Iraqis saying they are optimistic about the future of Iraq, not saying its all been for the good .. there are many mistakes made on the way
- I made my decision ten years ago and I stand by it
- the decision to go to war was in my opinion morally right, if I had taken the opposite view I would not have supported it
- I did not take the country to war on a dossier that was false, in many respects it was not false, (reporter interrupts - there were no weapons of mass destruction, there was no 45 minute warning) the view that Saddam had all these weapons was a view that was held across the world, (reporter interrupts - but it was wrong Mr Straw), as it turned out when we got into Iraq we found out that he had got rid of his WMD and he had managed to trick the rest of the world
- (Reporter - we had been taken to war on a falsehood, just want you to accept that simple truth) no I'm not accepting that / (Reporter - why won't you say sorry?) deeply regret the fact, of course I am sorry about the loss of life but what I'm not going to do is to try and wriggle out of my responsibility for making that decision at the time, I knew what was likely to be the effect, that people on both sides would be killed, I just think its dreadful, it you think seriously about an issue like that, its the most significant decision I have had to make in my life
- Of course I accept that there was no WMD but there were reasons for that which nobody understood at the time .. Germany, France had the same belief as us about the threat that was posed but had come to a d...
No use by regional TV or radio in UK and Ireland until 3 days after date of creation. Prior approval required if clip features ITN newsreader or reporter, please contact your local Getty Images representative.No use by regional TV or radio in UK and Ireland until 3 days after date of creation. Prior approval required if clip features ITN newsreader or reporter, please contact your local Getty Images representative.